My Issues with Sonic

Sonic the Hedgehog is a beloved character by many. His classic Genesis games are considered some of the best games ever made, and Sonic Adventures is one of the best 3D platformers ever made. The bad news is that I can't stand many Sonic games.

I've made an effort to play most Sonic games. This doesn't include games that are incredibly annoying to play like Knuckles' Chaotix, because it's far too expensive to get the hardware to play a spin-off that probably doesn't count as a Sonic game.

I've played through the Genesis games and Sonic CD. I've also played Sonic Adventure DX and Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, and also Sonic Generations as you'll soon find out.

The only game I mentioned that I enjoyed was Sonic Adventure. It has some of the worst graphics I've ever seen in a game, but it has some of the most enjoyable gameplay. I feel like Sonic Adventure had some great ideas that could make it an excellent game if it was remade properly with modern hardware.

Sonic Adventure 2 was the most boring Sonic game I've ever played. The game keeps interrupting the fun yet confusing Sonic and Shadow levels with the slow Knuckles and Rouge levels, and the horribly boring and obnoxious Tails and Eggman levels.

The game also kept failing to do the homing attack for no reason which kept resulting in my death. That soured my mood toward to game more than you'd think.

My big issue with Sonic games is that my favorite one is my favorite because of what it tried to do. No Sonic game feels well executed, and I know I made Genesis Sonic fans irritated, but I want to explain why I just can't get into the Genesis games.

Sonic was created to be a game where more experienced players can go through the game really fast. The Genesis games are also really insanely hard to beginners, so exploring the levels for extra lives is encouraged. Then you play for a few minutes too long and die because of a time limit per stage.

The time limit in the Genesis games is my least favorite part of the whole series because it makes no sense. Exploring levels is fun. Dying because of exploration will discourage exploration. It also doesn't help that the final level in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (without Knuckles) is incredibly long, and getting lost, even just a little bit, will result in the boss not being beatable because the timer doesn't pause for cutscenes.

My big problem with Sonic is that every game has a massive flaw that prevents me from thoroughly enjoying it. The Genesis games have a time limit that won't let you explore, Sonic CD is super easy and takes no time to beat, Sonic Adventure is buggy and has poor visuals, and Sonic Adventure 2 has a bad homing attack, terrible pacing, and it lacks an interesting hub world like the first game had.

Sonic Generations is another game I didn't like. You can find out why later today, so stay tuned! Do people tune into a website?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful when commenting.