Thoughts on Nintendo's E3 2019

Nintendo's E3 Direct has come and gone for this year, and it was a serious mixed bag for me. The first thirty minutes of the forty minute Direct got me anxious. I was hoping for three different things, none of which had appeared, and only two of which I thought might. So I wanted to go over my thoughts on Nintendo's E3 Direct as a whole.

The first thirty minutes consisted of The Hero from Dragon Quest XI coming to Smash Bros Ultimate, and that's all I can remember. There were a number of games that had a very similar artstyle, a Contra game that honestly doesn't look great, and the sequel to Secret of Mana leaving Japan for the first time.

The last ten minutes had what was my biggest hope for E3, Animal Crossing. The announcement that it's now coming in 2020 is disappointing, but the game already looks like a lot of fun. I plan on posting my thoughts on Animal Crossing New Horizons very soon.

My second realistic hope was shown right after, that being Spyro on the Switch. I've been holding off on getting the remake on PS4 specifically because I was hoping for a Switch port. I've always been more of a fan of Spyro than Crash, and I'm glad to see it get some love that isn't Skylanders.

My third and what I thought was my most unrealistic hope was Banjo-Kazooie in Smash Ultimate. I honestly don't have anything to say about this other than it's nice to finally have a Smash Bros DLC that's worth buying to me.

What I wasn't expecting was a sequel to Breath of the Wild. We know almost nothing about it, but my wild hope is that there's some level of multiplayer in BotW 2 (not the actual name). BotW was likely limited by the Wii U version, which meant they couldn't use the full power of the Switch. Hopefully this time the lack of such a limitation means the game will have some new features that take advantage of that.

My little conspiracy theory is that Nintendo planned the first 75% of the Direct to be boring for people like me so that we'd remember the last 25% and say the Direct was incredible. I can't complain because I got everything I wanted.

1 comment:

Please be respectful when commenting.